World
Associated Press

Iran's president backs US deal as security chief warns neighbours

7:35am
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian.

Iran's president defended a memorandum of understanding with the United States as the best way out of a stalled war while the new head of the Islamic Republic's top security body took a more defiant stance, warning of retaliation if neighbours join US threats to further sanction Tehran.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Monday is expected to announce new measures against Iran after the US vowed to impose an "unprecedented" level of economic warfare and isolation. Also Monday, Pakistan's army chief planned to travel to Tehran, Iranian media reported, as mediators try to revive talks.

Iranian president wants to move past 'neither war nor peace'

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian defended the memorandum of understanding signed in mid-June as the best way to move beyond a situation of "neither war nor peace".

"There is not a single provision in this agreement that amounts to capitulation," Pezeshkian said in a speech published by state-run IRNA.

"The supreme leader sets the policies, and we will follow that path."

People spend time at a beach as commercial vessels are anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran

The memorandum of understanding opened a 60-day period for talks aimed at ending the war and reaching an accord on Iran's nuclear programme. That period ended last week with no signs of compromise, especially on the crucial issue of reopening the Strait of Hormuz, vital to global shipping.

Pezeshkian said the country can't attract investment in this stalled phase. Nearly six months after the war began, Iran's economy is suffering under sanctions and a US naval blockade.

Iran's security chief warns neighbours not to join sanctions

The hard-line leader of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, in his most extensive public comments since being named to the post this month, warned Tehran's neighbours against joining the new US effort to hurt Iran's economy and said they would be considered enemies.

"If (Trump) wants to do something, we will retaliate in a seismic manner," Mohsen Rezaei told the state broadcaster in an interview that aired late Saturday. He said Iran would target oil-shipping routes out of the Persian Gulf — alternatives to the Strait of Hormuz — if neighbours join in.

Rezaei, a former Revolutionary Guard commander and military adviser to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, was part of senior appointments widely seen as hardening Tehran's political and military stance.

There were no confirmed attacks in the Strait of Hormuz over the past 48 hours, a multinational coalition overseen by the US Navy said, with shipping traffic still at reduced levels.

In this photo obtained by The Associated Press, Iranians attend an anti-government protest in Tehran, Iran.

Iran executes man arrested during January protests

The Iranian judiciary's Mizan news agency reported the latest execution connected to nationwide protests early this year, saying Majid Adineh was arrested January 9 in Mohammadshahr, west of Tehran.

The judiciary said forensic examinations indicated the handgun found on him had been fired on January 8 and 9. Mizan said Adineh had joined the unrest following calls by groups opposed to Iran's government and alleged that he had received training from groups outside the country.

A Revolutionary Court in Karaj convicted Adineh under Iran's law imposing harsher penalties for espionage and cooperation with hostile states. Mizan said the verdict accused him of carrying out operations on behalf of Israel, the United States and groups Iran considers hostile.

SHARE ME

More Stories