Warriors hold on to breakout star Tanah Boyd for another three years

52 mins ago
Tanah Boyd of the Warriors, One New Zealand Warriors v Wests Tigers, round 19 of the Telstra NRL Premiership rugby league competition at Go Media Stadium.

Injured halfback Tanah Boyd has signed a three-year contract extension, which will keep him at the New Zealand Warriors until the end of the 2029 NRL season.

The deal follows confirmation that his 2026 campaign is over after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee in the opening minutes of last Sunday's encounter with the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Initially secured for 2025 and 2026, the 25-year-old's contract extension follows his superb form this season, which has helped the Warriors to second on the ladder heading into Saturday night's round 12 clash against the Dragons.

"It has been a devastating week for Tanah, but this is just reward for what he has done so far and for the belief we have in him for the next three seasons," Warriors general manager recruitment Andrew McFadden said.

"After being signed as a quality player with significant experience, he has made tremendous progress to sit alongside the NRL's leading playmakers."

Originally regarded by most as merely keeping the No.7 jersey warm for Luke Metcalf's return from injury, Boyd's form was so compelling that it kept the club's marquee half out of the starting line-up.

Metcalf decided to seek his future elsewhere and last week confirmed he had reached an agreement with St George-Illawarra Dragons on a three-year deal starting next year.

Tanah Boyd went down in the seventh minute of play on Sunday afternoon at Magic Round while in possession.

Helping the Warriors to an 8-2 start to the season, Boyd features highly in statistical areas for all playmakers while he has scored three tries and kicked 40 goals for 92 points.

"We're all feeling for Tanah but we're so happy knowing we'll have him here for another three years," head coach Andrew Webster said.

"He has put a lot of hard work into his game and to his club. He has done a terrific job for us and has done his family and himself proud.

"He's upset right now but the way he has handled himself this week has been unbelievable. I haven't seen a player go through an ACL and reconnect with a team so quickly."

Veteran utility Te Maire Martin came off the bench and contributed mightily to the Warriors' 42-12 romp over the Broncos last weekend and will have first crack as Boyd's replacement against the Dragons, although Metcalf remains an option beyond that.

"Tanah has been at training sessions, he has been in our meetings, given his opinion and told Te Maire [Martin] if he needs any reps he'll help, not physical because he can't but mental reps.

"You can see how much his all-round game has developed this year and how much more confident he is in his role. We're rapt to have him here long-term," Webster said.

With his six goals in the Warriors' 36-14 round nine win over Parramatta, Boyd reached the 150-point mark for the club while he went past 400 points for his career since his first-grade debut with the Gold Coast Titans in 2019.

rnz.co.nz

SHARE ME

More Stories