World
1News

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor: Witnesses sought in UK misconduct case

Britain's Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025.

Police investigating former Prince Andrew on suspicion of misconduct in public office are again calling for anyone with information to come forward.

The 66-year-old brother of King Charles was arrested by Thames Valley Police on February 20 following the release of millions of the US Department of Justice's files related to convicted sex offender Epstein, who died in prison in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.

The former Duke of York was stripped of his royal titles last year over his ties with the financier and was now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

Thames Valley Police assistant chief constable Oliver Wright today told reporters the investigation was "by necessity hugely thorough and will take time".

"There are a number of aspects of alleged misconduct that the investigation is examining."

Confidential documents related to Mountbatten-Windsor's appointment as Britain's trade envoy in 2001, released today, revealed the late Queen Elizabeth II was "very keen" for her second son to take on the role.

"The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests," the head of Britain's trade body wrote to two senior cabinet ministers on February 25, 2000.

Wright said detectives were speaking with "a range of witnesses". Officers were also investigating claims by a lawyer for a woman who alleged she was sent to Windsor by Epstein for sexual purposes in 2010.

The woman had not reported the incident to police.

"In terms of Epstein victims and survivors, we hope that anyone with relevant information will come forward, and I really want to stress that our door is open whenever a victim-survivor is ready to engage with us," Wright said.

"We're ready for you at whatever point that may be."

Mountbatten-Windsor has denied any wrongdoing.

Where to get help for sexual violence.

SHARE ME

More Stories