Taranaki school partially evacuated after chemical spill

Fire and Emergency NZ said it had responded to a "chemical causing concern" in the suburb of Welbourn at around 9am on Tuesday.

New Plymouth Boys' High School was "partially evacuated" and a nearby section of State Highway 3 closed after a chemical spill in a science classroom this morning.

Fire and Emergency NZ said it had responded to a "chemical causing concern" in the suburb of Welbourn at around 9am on Tuesday.

"We have not taken action, but are standing by at the scene till it can be taken over by the Defence Force who will offer further assistance," a spokesperson said.

Headmaster Sam Moore said the school had been partially evacuated due to "an issue in a science laboratory".

"Everyone at school is safe, and there is no danger to any person on site. Please do not come to the school or phone the school as you will not be attended to."

NZTA said a section of State Highway 3 in front of the school had been closed.

"The chemical spill has been cleared, and the road is now OPEN," it said in a later update.

New Plymouth Boys' High School currently has a roll of around 1540 students, with around 190 odd boarders.

The New Zealand Defence Force has been contacted for comment.

The morning's headlines in 90 seconds, including an exploding boat wakes Aucklanders, and the Everest climbers stuck in their tent during an avalanche. (Source: Breakfast)

SHARE ME

More Stories