An active shooter opened fire at a San Diego mosque and police believe people have been shot, authorities said.
Officer Anthony Carrasco said people reported multiple shots at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday (local time), about 14km north of downtown San Diego.
It was unclear if the shooter was outside or inside, or had been captured yet. The San Diego Police Department posted that the scene is “still active but contained".
Carrasco said he did not have more information at the moment.
Aerial TV footage showed more than a dozen children holding hands and being walked out of the parking lot of the center that is surrounded by scores of police vehicles. The white mosque is in a neighborhood of homes, apartments and strip malls with Middle Eastern restaurants and markets.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said he was aware of the active shooter situation and was receiving updates from law enforcement.
"Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area," he said in a post to X.
Aerial footage shows a heavy police presence outside the mosque. (Source: Associated Press)
California Governor Gavin Newsom’s office said he was being briefed.
“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” his office posted on the social platform X.
The Islamic Center's website says its mission is to not only serve the Muslim population but also “work with the larger community to serve the less fortunate, to educate, and to better our nation".
Five daily prayers are held there, and the mosque works with other organisations and people of all faiths on social causes.
Additional reporting by 1News.


















SHARE ME