One of the new positive Covid-19 cases in Northland has spoken out on social media about how they contracted the virus, describing their recent movements in and around Auckland before they tested positive.
The Ministry of Health announced on Friday afternoon two new cases of the virus had been confirmed in Northland and they were now isolating near Kaikohe. The cases are not linked to the two women who recently visited Northland.
A few hours after the new positive cases were confirmed, the woman posted in a Northland community group page on Facebook explaining why she travelled across the border into Auckland and how they contracted the virus.
"On Saturday 16th, I travelled to Auckland to take my girl home after school holidays [she had an exemption to come home and did all required tests etc]," the post read.
"I was tested Wednesday the 13th, negative. I then did another test in Auckland on Saturday the 16th - negative [so I could travel home]. I haven't been around anyone or to any places of interest."
The Ministry of Health said in their statement on Friday afternoon confirmed the two new cases were permitted to travel to the Kaikohe area from Auckland.
The woman said she picked up her daughter and grandchildren, who also returned negative tests, and with all these results and a proof of residence to show at the border, headed home.
"Tuesday 19th we got a call that a family member tested positive, my daughter had contact with this family member while in Auckland so we isolated straight away and went for testing."
"[Friday] morning we got a phone call with our results from public health [and I was positive]."
The woman said it was a "hard time" for her family but she wanted to reveal herself "to let our community know so that no one else is treated like a suspect".
"We have done everything required and shared all our Covid tracing app details with the Ministry of Health," she said.
The post was received with support for the woman and her family with many wishing them a "speedy recovery".
The woman said she had already had one Covid vaccine and was "due" for the second one when she contracted the virus.
The Ministry of Health said on Friday the two cases were not included in the 129 community cases that had been announced in their 1pm updated but initial investigations had already found a "limited number of close contacts".
The ministry said people in the Kaikohe area are asked to keep an eye on their website for any locations of interest and that additional testing in the area is being arranged.