Sydney has banned five players for the remainder of the AFL season for breaching club standards and behaviours at a Melbourne hotel.
Several Swans players are under police investigation over an alleged sexual assault at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne in the early hours of Monday morning.
No charges have been filed.
Swans players Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner will not be considered for selection again this year.
"The AFL is supportive of the club's sanctions," a Swans statement read.
"We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and the actions we have taken today are independent of this."
Police attended the Pullman after an incident early that morning.
The Swans stayed at that hotel on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG that locked in second place on the ladder and a home qualifying final.
"Police are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August," Victoria Police said in a statement provided to AAP.
"The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning.
"The exact circumstances are yet to be established, and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing."
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon on Tuesday released a statement calling for more respect around the allegations.
Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich and club chairman Andrew Pridham will face the media at 12pm (local time) on Wednesday.
Dillon said the allegations and the conduct of the Swans players were "deeply concerning".
"While the matter remains under police investigation, it raises broader issues for our game and our responsibilities as a sport," Dillon said.
"The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected."
Initially, the players were expected to be sidelined for at least two games while police continued their investigations.
Heeney, Warner and Blakey are among Sydney's most important players, while Bice and Jordon have played key roles during the past two seasons.
The Swans will host North Melbourne at the SCG on Sunday with a barely recognisable team to the one that beat Essendon last week.
Sydney have locked up second spot on the ladder and are guaranteed two home finals.




















SHARE ME