Cordons lifted on North Shore street that was swamped by armed police

Source: 1News

Cordons have been removed on a North Shore street after armed police conducted a search of a house, with police saying there is no "immediate threat" after four schools were put into lockdown.

Inspector Jason Homan initially told 1News officers were responding to reports of a person with a gun, with police officers seen later on Thursday afternoon moving towards the house with a battering ram.

Armed police outside a North Shore house.

In a statement on Thursday afternoon, Inspector Stefan Sagar said at this stage no arrests have been made.

"We have searched the house and have since left the area."

He said there is no immediate threat to the public in relation to this incident.

"Our inquiries are ongoing to determine the circumstances of what has occurred," Sagar said.

Footage also showed armed officers taking cover outside the house, pointing their guns at the property.

Earlier, around 20 officers formed a "defensive stance" about halfway down the street and appear to be trying to coax someone out of a house.

Armed police on Bardia St in Belmont.

Belmont Intermediate, Belmont Primary, Bayswater School and Takapuna Grammar School went into lockdown at around 11.30am as a precaution.

The schools came out of lockdown shortly after.

The incident first started to unfold at around 10.47am.

An armed police officer in Auckland's Belmont.

"A police cordon is still in place on the intersection of Bardia and Moa streets and locals are asked to avoid the area," Homan said.

Police have cordoned off Bardia St in Belmont.

Just one police car and two armed officers remain at the scene on Bardia St.

Belmont Primary School Principal Bruce Cunningham said he feels reassured his students are now safe.

"I just hope the community is safe," he said.

A man was also seen being arrested nearby on Domain St in video posted to social media after a car chase. Footage of a damaged vehicle from the Devonport street was also posted online.

Police have said the two incidents are not related.