Minister’s electorate office blocked emails from McSkimming complainant

Police Minister Mark Mitchell.

Police Minister Mark Mitchell's electorate office blocked Ms Z, the woman at the centre of the Jevon McSkimming scandal whose ignored complaints later triggered a damning IPCA report, after receiving a surge of emails from her, according to recently released documents.

Mitchell told 1News his electorate staff acted appropriately and followed proper protocol by redirecting Ms Z to ministerial offices responsible for police matters.

Documents released under the Official Information Act show Mitchell received 36 emails of complaints from Ms Z about McSkimming in late 2023 and early 2024 – 17 of which were sent to his electorate office.

The emails were among more than 300 sent to McSkimming and others, including the IPCA, Coster, Kura, the Police Minister, the Prime Minister and media outlets. They contained allegations that McSkimming was a sexual predator who targeted young women, allegations the IPCA later found police failed to investigate.

One of Ms Z's emails was responded to by an electorate officer staffer, who was also Minister Mitchell's sister.

On January 8, 2024, an electorate staffer notified Mitchell’s ministerial office that numerous emails had arrived over the Christmas period.

"We have received many emails from this sender over the christmas break, all relating to police portfolio matters not electorate. I will respond briefly to the send giving this email address for future comms and will leave you to manage it from here. I will forward all emails we have received to date."

A ministerial staffer acknowledged the message a week later, writing: "Thank you — noted. Will triage.”

But on January 16, the electorate staffer emailed again saying two more messages from Ms Z had arrived despite earlier attempts to redirect her to the ministerial office.

"I have received 2 further emails from this emailer whom I have asked not to email the electorate office (as portfolio based not constituent) as per email attached on 8/01. I will send further emails on to you now and block the sender I think this is the best solution from this end.... Please confirm you are happy to manage going forward."

The documents showed no reply was received to this email.

In a statement to 1News, Mitchell said the matter had been "well traversed" and that proper protocol was followed.

"Electorate offices’ do not get involved in ministerial matters, in fact it would be entirely inappropriate. My electorate staff did absolutely the right thing by forwarding the emails onto my ministerial office, and communicating the proper channel to Ms Z."

Former Deputy Police Commissioner Jevon McSkimming.

A scathing IPCA report released in November found police bosses failed to investigate Ms Z's repeated allegations against former Deputy Police Commisioner Jevon McSkimming, instead prosecuting her under the Harmful Digital Communications Act for sending more than 300 anonymous emails.

Ms Z was arrested in May 2024 and charged after McSkimming made a formal complaint against her, with police not properly investigating the sexual misconduct allegations contained in her emails. The charge was later dropped.

Police Commissioner Richard Chambers apologised to Ms Z, saying she was "ignored and badly let down", while Prime Minister Christopher Luxon said she had been treated in a "confronting, appalling, shocking, and disgusting" way by authorities.

Concerning material found on McSkimming's work devices during the eventual investigation into sexual misconduct led to his resignation.

In December, McSkimming was sentenced to nine months home detention after being convicted of possessing objectionable material including of child exploitation and bestiality.

SHARE ME

More Stories