WorkSafe has officially launched an investigation into work health and safety at Mount Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park in the lead up to the landslide which killed six people last month.
Six people were killed when a landslide hit the Mount Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park on the morning of January 22 following heavy rain.
The victims were Lisa Anne Maclennan, 50, Måns Loke Bernhardsson, 20, Jacqualine Suzanne Wheeler, 71, Susan Doreen Knowles, 71, Sharon Maccanico, 15, and Max Furse-Kee, 15.
WorkSafe central regional manager Nigel Formosa said the regulator had taken time to clarify where the incident sat in its remit.
"Our investigation will focus on work related matters prior to the landslide."
WorkSafe would establish whether the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 had been breached by business and organisations relating to the operation of the holiday park.
Formosa said the team was focused on understanding the decisions and circumstances shaping the work environment at the holiday park prior to the landslide.
"We’re committed to carrying out a careful, methodical investigation that stays grounded in evidence and the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, for the victims and their whānau. This will take time, but it's important we complete a thorough investigation."
The regulator had already begun to engage with Tauranga City Council as the operator of the holiday park, with the roles of other parties to be considered in the coming months.
WorkSafe investigations could take up to 12 months from the date of an incident.
Formosa said this investigation was expected to take a full year given the amount of information and technical expertise involved.
"WorkSafe would like to thank New Zealand Police for their ongoing support. We’ll continue to work closely with them as we carry out our respective roles."
The WorkSafe investigation was independent from both the Government inquiry and Tauranga City Council's external review which were recently initiated.
Tauranga City Council welcomed the WorkSafe'investigation and said it was committed to fully supporting the process.
"This has been an incredibly difficult time for our community. Our thoughts remain with the victims, their whānau, and all those impacted by this devastating event," said council chief executive Marty Grenfell.
"It is essential that we understand what happened and whether anything could or should have been done differently."





















SHARE ME