Police swarm Sydney property linked to mistaken identity kidnapping

9:46am
Chris Baghsarian

Police have executed a warrant at a semi-rural property believed to be linked to the mistaken kidnapping of grandfather Chris Baghsarian.

The 85-year-old man has been held captive since three men bundled him into a dark-coloured SUV outside his Sydney home just before dawn last Friday.

Detectives believe the widower, who they say is a victim of mistaken identity, is still alive after videos of him emerged restrained in an unknown location.

Police swarmed a property in Dural, about 36km north-west of Sydney, on Thursday night, after identifying it as a location used as a makeshift stronghold by the kidnappers.

As fears grow for the widower Chris Baghsarian, who lives alone, police have shared security footage of the kidnapping. (Source: Nine)

A crime scene at the property has been established.

Baghsarian's family spoke publicly for the first time earlier this week, describing the kidnapping as a surreal and harrowing ordeal.

"Our family is living through a nightmare we never thought possible," they said in a brief statement released via police.

Baghsarian's lack of personal links to any criminal or underworld activity is making the case difficult for investigators.

No ransom has been demanded, leaving police to appeal directly to the kidnappers to return the grandfather to a safe location.

"It's not an instance where they're randomly taking people for the sake of it," Detective Superintendent Andrew Marks told reporters on Monday.

"They were intending to take somebody but have taken the wrong person."

Police were continuing to appeal for public assistance to help identify and arrest those responsible for his kidnapping.

The morning's headlines in 90 seconds, including the arrest of a former prince. (Source: 1News)

SHARE ME

More Stories