A fire at a heritage building at Auckland's Northcote College is under control after it broke out during an hour of strike action by career firefighters this afternoon.
Fire and Emergency NZ assistant national commander Ron Devlin said crews were first notified of the fire through a fire alarm at 12.17pm.
"As part of our contingency planning to manage reduced capability during strike action, we do not dispatch crews to automatic fire alarm activations unless there are multiple activations or confirming 111 calls.
"Following a second fire alarm notification crews were dispatched at 12.19pm. While heading to the scene we also received a 111 call from a member of the public. A commander was first to arrive at the scene at 12.29pm followed by a volunteer brigade from Silverdale at 12.34pm."
Additional volunteer fire crews joined later, followed by career crews after the conclusion of the strike action.
Dozens of firefighters are tackling the fire at Northcote College on Friday afternoon. (Source: 1News)
Devlin said Fire and Emergency NZ continued to urge the New Zealand Professional Firefighters Union (NZPFU) to call off planned strikes while the process of facilitation was underway.
Police said they were assisting Fire and Emergency at the site and that no one was outstanding.
St John said it was on scene with an ambulance, two managers, one command unit, and one major incident support unit.
Northcote College said all students had been evacuated and were safe, adding that school would be closing for the day at 2pm.
"Some students may not have their bag because of the evacuation. We are asking students to go home, if they can, without their bag. Students who are unable to get home or need to call home are meeting in the hall and will be supported by staff."
The sports pavilion was a heritage building, the school's original teaching space. It was part of a $48.5 million redevelopment project announced by the then Labour-led government in 2020. It was adjacent to the large new classroom block that opened this month.
The latest fire came close to 12 years after a devastating fire destroyed Northcote College’s technology block (E block) in September 2014.

Auckland Transport said an "emergency services incident" on Onewa Rd between Lake Rd and Birkenhead Ave was causing delays.
The mother of a student at the school told 1News her son was "shocked" by how "large and aggressive" the fire was.
"He told me there was lots of black smoke and flames."
Smoke was visible from as far away as the Auckland Harbour Bridge.

Northcote MP Dan Bidois thanked emergency services and school staff for keeping everyone safe.
"Thanks to all our local police and firefighters for their quick response and to the school staff for an orderly fire drill! Glad everyone is safe."
Auckland Council North Shore ward councillor Richard Hills said it was "so sad" to see the fire at Northcote College.
"It will be hugely upsetting to students, staff and school whānau," he said.
Hills said the school had worked hard to recover from a previous fire, and recently celebrated the opening of new and upgraded buildings.

NZPFU confirmed in a social media post it would be striking from 12pm-1pm on Friday.
"FENZ management is quick to say that firefighters are ‘gambling with public safety’ by striking. The truth is, FENZ is gambling with your safety every single day,” the post read.
The union said another one-hour strike was planned for next Monday.
Northcote College has a roll of nearly 1500 students, according to the Ministry of Education.



















SHARE ME