A man has been arrested and charged after allegedly entering the Mount Maunganui landslide zone, which is cordoned off to the public.
The cordon had remained in place for public safety after six people died when a section of Mauao hillside collapsed, sending a landslide into the Mount Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park and the Mount Hot Pools about 9.30am on January 22.
Western Bay of Plenty Area Commander Inspector Clifford Paxton said police were notified that a man had allegedly entered the landslide zone about 2.30am today.
"Police coordinated a response with Māori Wardens, who are watching over the site, and a 20-year-old man was arrested," he said.
The man was due in Tauranga District Court on Tuesday, February 24, charged with breaching the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act and careless driving.
Three sought over alleged cordon breaches

Meanwhile, police were seeking help to identify three people photographed allegedly breaching the landslide cordon on two other occasions.
The reported incidents occurred on Wednesday, February 11 and Sunday, February 15.
One of the men was wearing a black t-shirt, blue denim shorts and sporting distinctive tattoos on his forearm.
A second man was wearing a pair of sunglasses, a white t-shirt, light-coloured shorts, and a black bag.
The third had a blue cap, a light-coloured t-shirt with a blue logo emblazoned on the front, and light-coloured shorts.
"If you are one of these people, or you recognise them, please update us through 105 either online or over the phone," police said.

Police reminded the public that the landslide site remained a restricted area as was unstable and posed significant public safety concerns.
Paxton said the area was cordoned off with clear signage, saying "there is no excuse to breach this".
Last month, all six victims were formally identified by the coroner, allowing their families to be reunited with their loved ones.

They six who died in the slip were: Lisa Anne Maclennan, 50; Måns Loke Bernhardsson, 20; Jacqualine Suzanne Wheeler, 71; Susan Doreen Knowles, 71; Sharon Maccanico, 15; and Max Furse-Kee, 15.
The morning's headlines in 90 seconds, including new footage of a dramatic Sail GP collision, and the best time to book your next holiday. (Source: 1News)





















SHARE ME