Man arrested after breaching Mount Maunganui landslide cordon

A man has been arrested and charged after allegedly entering the Mount Maunganui landslide zone, which is cordoned off to the public.

The cordon had remained in place for public safety after six people died when a section of Mauao hillside collapsed, sending a landslide into the Mount Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park and the Mount Hot Pools about 9.30am on January 22.

Western Bay of Plenty Area Commander Inspector Clifford Paxton said police were notified that a man had allegedly entered the landslide zone about 2.30am today.

"Police coordinated a response with Māori Wardens, who are watching over the site, and a 20-year-old man was arrested," he said.

The man was due in Tauranga District Court on Tuesday, February 24, charged with breaching the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act and careless driving.

Police remind the public that the landslide site is a restricted area as it remains unstable and poses significant public safety concerns.

Paxton said the area reamined cordoned off with clear signage, saying "there is no excuse to breach this".

Last month, all six victims were formally identified by the coroner, allowing their families to be reunited with their loved ones.

The six victims of the Mount Maunganui landslide: Lisa Anne Maclennan, 50; Måns Loke Bernhardsson, 20; Jacqualine Suzanne Wheeler, 71; Susan Doreen Knowles, 71; Sharon Maccanico, 15; and Max Furse-Kee, 15.

They had been named as Lisa Anne Maclennan, 50; Måns Loke Bernhardsson, 20; Jacqualine Suzanne Wheeler, 71; Susan Doreen Knowles, 71; Sharon Maccanico, 15; and Max Furse-Kee, 15.

The morning's headlines in 90 seconds, including new footage of a dramatic Sail GP collision, and the best time to book your next holiday. (Source: 1News)

SHARE ME

More Stories