Review announced as more raw sewage discharges at Moa Point

Latest discharge occurred as a deep low situated east of the North Island brings heavy rain and severe gales to large parts of the country.

An independent review has been ordered into the stricken Moa Point Wastewater Plant on Wellington's south coast as more untreated sewage discharged close to shore overnight.

Wellington City Council said the latest discharge occurred during a "rough night" of heavy rain and wind as a deep low from the east of the North Island brought heavy rain and severe gales to large parts of the country.

"Unfortunately, untreated sewage has been discharged overnight via the short outfall at Moa Point due to the heavy rain – so the advice about staying away from beaches still applies," a spokesperson said.

Follow our live updates on the wild weather here

Local Government Minister Simon Watts today announced a Crown Review Team would carry out an independent review into the sewage plant failure.

"The failure of a key part of our capital city’s critical wastewater infrastructure and the ensuing impact on communities, the local economy and the environment are completely unacceptable," Watts said.

"After discussions with Wellington Mayor Andrew Little, we have agreed an independent and transparent investigation is required to determine the causes of this failure.

"The public is owed the assurance that we understand what led to this failure and that we are taking steps to prevent it from happening again."

The team – made up of independent senior water services sector figures with relevant expertise – would be appointed to both Wellington City Council and Wellington Water Ltd "in a parallel process to ensure it has the necessary scope to fully investigate and report on the failure", he said.

"The review team will be tasked with delivering clear, actionable recommendations which set out concrete next steps, including specific actions for Wellington City Council where necessary."

Under Local Water Done Well, management of the metropolitan Wellington region’s water services would be transferring from Wellington Water to new council-controlled organisation Tiaki Wai Ltd from July 1.

"Given this imminent change and the ensuing transfer of assets to the new CCO, including the Moa Point plant, we need timely findings and recommendations," Watts said.

"As a nation, the need to invest more in our water infrastructure is clear as we fix the basics and build the future. We need to make sure ratepayers’ investment in water infrastructure is used wisely."

Beaches 'an area of caution'

Speaking to TVNZ's Breakfast this morning, Wellington Mayor Andrew Little urged people to stay away from affected beaches along the south coast following the fresh discharge.

"It kind of confirms the need just to stay away from the beaches for now. That still remains an area of caution."

The renewed discharge came as Wellington Water faced growing scrutiny.

Wellington Mayor Andrew Little says the capital has been “hit pretty hard” overnight, with big swells, heavy winds and trees down across multiple suburbs. (Source: Breakfast)

Wellington Water's board chairman Nick Leggett resigned on Sunday, saying leaders must accept responsibility "in actions as well as words".

The Moa Point wastewater plant's lower floors were completely flooded earlier this month when sewage backed up in a 1.8km outfall pipe, sending raw sewage spilling out from a five-metre pipe directly into Wellington's southern coastline.

The flooding caused beach closures off the capital's south coast, with officials saying repairs could take months.

A public meeting on the Moa Point failure had been moved from a bar in Lyall Bay to a larger venue due to "high levels of public interest".

Rongotai MP Julie Anne Genter said the meeting, scheduled for 7pm on Monday, will now be held at the Performing Arts Centre at St Patrick’s College.

"It’ll be a great opportunity to get a better understanding of what’s happening and to let local leaders know just how you feel about this crisis."

Speakers at the meeting would include the mayor, the head of the local business association, and experts in marine biology and wastewater. Wellington Central MP Tamatha Paul would also attend.

Wellington Water initially indicated it would not attend due to the political nature of the event, saying it would be more appropriate for the council to attend, but Mayor Andrew Little requested chief executive Pat Dougherty be present.

SHARE ME

More Stories