Masterton District Council chief executive Kym Fell is disappointed about some reactions to the Castlepoint Hotel's alcohol ban.
By Sue Teodoro, Local Democracy Reporter
The council issued a statement on Monday about the recent decision to stop the hotel selling alcohol.
"We understand the Castlepoint Hotel holds a special place in the community, but we're concerned that some of the frustration has been misdirected," Fell said.
The statement follows an outpouring of sentiment on social media from the community after the hotel announced on Friday it would be closing.
The announcement, on the hotel’s Facebook page, had 1700 emojis – more than 800 of them sobbing. Many of the more than 500 comments supported the pub and its staff and owners, although some supported the decision to close.
"What a travesty," said one.
"My wife and I had two meals there a month or so ago including meeting up with a couple who travelled from Masterton just for the dinner. We all enjoyed the great meals and good vibe of the olde pub."
"Don't let this be another 'town hall' situation. Fight the council staff members who decided this," said another.
The hotel’s licencees lost their on and off license late last year, but were granted a stay of the decision pending an appeal later this month.
However, last week the stay was lifted after the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority (ARLA) found conditions attached to the stay were breached on New Year’s Eve.
The New Year’s Eve incidents included drunk patrons returning to the pub after being kicked out, and serving another drunk patron.
The council’s statement confirmed the venue could still operate as a venue for food, non-alcoholic drinks, and accommodation.
However, the hotel’s owners made the decision to close the entire operation – leading to the social media backlash.
"This decision was made by ARLA, an independent body chaired by a District Court Judge. Council staff simply fulfilled their statutory obligation to report concerns about public safety," Fell said.
"Our licensing inspector was doing exactly what the law requires. When evidence presented to us showed the venue was breaching agreed conditions, including allowing intoxicated patrons to remain on site, the inspector had a legal duty to act. The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 exists to ensure alcohol is sold and supplied safely and responsibly. "
Fell said if an intoxicated person had left the hotel, driven, and killed or injured someone, and it became known the council had known there were problems and failed to act, it would rightly be condemned in the court of public opinion.
"The same way if an intoxicated person left the venue and ended up injured – venues are required to act responsibly to ensure the safety of their patrons.
"We get it’s frustrating, but we'll always choose public safety."
Fell said that the venue's licenses were not renewed because of management practices, not because council staff or the ARLA failed in their duties.
"We encourage anyone who wants to understand the full picture to read the hearing decisions, which are publicly available on our website.“
An appeal against the original license refusal was currently scheduled for February 25.
– LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.





















SHARE ME