Opening date of Auckland's long-awaited convention centre revealed

Inside the International Convention Centre.

Next year's opening date of the New Zealand International Convention Centre (NZICC) has been revealed - a milestone which marks the end of a decade-long construction project.

SkyCity revealed the date, February 11, earlier this morning as it gave media a tour of the new central Auckland venue.

The NZICC project, located on Hobson St in the city centre, is adjacent to Auckland's Sky Tower and spans 32,500 square metres over four floors.

The gambling and entertainment company promised a series of "special events" during the first few weeks of the centre's operation.

The NZICC project, located on Hobson and Nelson St in the city centre, spans 32,500 square metres over four floors.

Inside the International Convention Centre.

General manager Prue Daly said there were plans in the making from "a dawn blessing and a spectacular showcase of the building and its world-class food and beverage, to a live concert and a public open day for everyone to enjoy".

SkyCity chief executive Jason Walbridge said there were 100 events confirmed for 2026.

"The NZICC is a powerful investment into New Zealand’s future, creating opportunities for local businesses, generating jobs for our wider community and elevating Auckland’s event capabilities on a world stage."

Inside the International Convention Centre.

His company is touting the venue as "a gateway to Auckland’s city centre, just steps away from luxury accommodation, award-winning dining and premier retail precincts".

The venue can accommodate more than 4000 delegates across its spaces, but scale up or down as needed for different events, according to SkyCity.

Inside the International Convention Centre.

"The team has been working hard to create an amazing calendar of both local and international events, and with over 121 confirmed already for 2026," a spokesperson said.

"The NZICC is expected to attract approximately 33,000 international delegates annually, contributing around $90 million in new economic spend each year."

Inside the International Convention Centre.

The $750 million project has been under construction for about a decade, with early works beginning in 2015 and a major fire crippling progress in 2019. Opening of the project was delayed from sometime in 2025 to February 2026 earlier this year.

In June, SkyCity filed legal proceedings against Fletcher Building and Fletcher Construction, seeking compensation of $330m over the project's "ongoing delays".

Intended to open in 2020, the project was delayed after a devastating fire hit the construction site the year before the opening date.  (Source: 1News)

SHARE ME

More Stories