The Department of Conservation is calling for information from the public after two "concerning" incidents at marine reserves in the Nelson-Tasman region last month.
Earlier today, DOC issued a reminder about the rules within marine reserves ahead of the summer season.
It was revealed last month breaches of marine reserve rules were showing no signs of slowing down. DOC said at the time compliance teams were encountering more serious and deliberate breaches, with offenders caught line fishing, trolling through reserves, kayak fishing, and setting cray pots.
Marine reserves are “no take” areas and any kind of fishing is strictly prohibited. DOC said the most serious breaches of marine reserve rules can result in prosecution and jail time.
DOC marine ranger Stew Robertson said today that the first of the two recent incidents involved a 14-metre launch which was spotted anchored in the Horoirangi Marine Reserve, northeast of Nelson, on November 5.
The white launch was detected on a recently installed camera which monitored the marine reserve.
"The vessel was anchored for 90 minutes, which is unusual and suspicious boating activity for this marine reserve," Robertson said.
The name of the vessel was unknown, however Stew urged for the skipper to make contact.
He also asked for anyone who saw it in the middle of the marine reserve to get in touch with DOC.
The second incident occurred on November 16 at the Tonga Island Marine Reserve, located northwest of Nelson.
A member of the public had alerted DOC staff to a 6.5-metre Stabicraft in the reserve. DOC was also supplied with video and a still image of the vessel and its occupants.
Robertson said the name of this vessel was also unknown, but it was black with a "distinctive" blue trim.
Anyone who is able to identify the vessel or its skipper, or saw it in the reserve on November 16, is also urged to contact DOC.
DOC said information provided is treated confidentially and can be provided anonymously.
After the two incidents, Robertson said there were now more people keeping an eye on the two reserves through a launch of a new Coastwatch group which comprised of staff from several central and local government agencies and local residents.
Anyone who witnesses or suspects illegal activity in a marine reserve is urged to call 0800 DOC HOT.
Valuable information to DOC includes details of any fishers on land, or any boat involved, descriptions of those aboard, where and when it was seen – and the nature of the alleged activity. Photographs and videos are also of use.





















SHARE ME