An essential worker who was under investigation after returning a weak positive result in Whangārei earlier this week has on Thursday returned a positive test result in Auckland.
The Ministry of Health's current assessment is that the the original test was taken in the early stage of the individual’s infection.
Director of Public Health Dr Caroline McElnay said on Thursday evening in a statement that it would help limit any potential spread of infection from the case.
Public health interviews with the case are now underway to confirm their movements, Dr McElnay said.
Locations of interest in Auckland and Northland will be posted on the Ministry of Health website as they become available.
The first locations of interest are expected to be posted on Friday.
Northland DHB is stepping up its screening at Northland hospitals for visitors and patients and arranging additional testing.
Anyone with symptoms should get tested, and people in Auckland and Northland have been advised to check for new locations of interest on Friday.
A full list of locations of interest, which continues to be updated, can be found at the Ministry of Health website.